Architecture & Construction
People working in this sector may design, develop, build or repair residential and business premises, infrastructure and transport systems.
The sector is very diverse. You can work in skilled trades, such as bricklaying, gas engineering or carpentry. Alternatively, there is scope for designing infrastructures, buildings, landscaping, surveying or working in project management.
This sector is more than materials, engineering and architecture; there is a focus on designing sustainable environments and spaces to improve our lives and develop communities.
There are various pathways to get started in this field:
- pre-construction (architect, quantity surveyor, public health engineer)
- construction (builder, civil or structural engineer)
- post-construction (repair trades, sales)
The ONS reported that as of March 2020,there were 2.3 million construction industry jobs in the UK.
There are 7 overarching Industry Pathways for people interesting in pursuing a career within Architecture & Construction:
- Design, Planning, Estimating, Surveying & Procurement
- Earthworks, Demolition & Deconstructions
- Off-Site Manufacture & Logistics
- Structural, Civil, Commercial & Project Engineering Management
- Fixing, Finishing & Utilities Operations
- Repair, Maintenance & Management
- Customer Service & Sales Support